Thursday, June 18, 2009

Man Alive

I wrote this poem right after I read G.K. Chesterton's novel Man Alive (which I would recommend to any novel lover). Enjoy :)

Madness sets in by giving in,
Not breaking out; by being tamed
Self repeating circle of ideas
By settling down

Pedaling the machine so fast
That I turned into a machine myself
That's the matter with all of us
We're too busy to wake up

Things look so bright just before they burst
I think this time we'll be just fine
But don't look into the sun

Pedaling against reason
But what even is reason?
This goes against all we know
Now I am a man alive

4 comments:

aarondr said...

so are you talking about us just thinking to much or what? That we just start thinkng to much and being busy that we just become a man thats identity is being busy?

Jonathan Fitzgerald said...

well not exactly. its not about thinking too much, it is about being in a routine busy lifestyle. the book is about this guy who is so out of the ordinary and everybody thinks that he is crazy, but they slowly begin to realize that he is the only sane one out of them all because he isnt living in this routine busy life...great book :)

hslavens said...

i really like this poem

Jonathan Fitzgerald said...

Thanks man!!! bless the Lord