Friday, March 19, 2010

The Words

"It is painful to me now to reflect, the ease with which I got into the way of using this non-language; these drooling non-sentences conveying non-thoughts, propounding non-fears and offering non-hopes. Words are as beautiful as love, and as easily betrayed. I am more penitent for my false words-for the most part, mercifully lost for ever in the Media's great slag-heaps-than for false deeds." - Malcolm Muggeridge, the "Wizard of Words"

Often times we speak in a language that nobody comprehends (because we are so intellectual and smart, right???); we speak in sentences that nobody understands; we blurt out thoughts that mean absolutely nothing to everybody; we alert people of things they should fear, but really nobody cares about them but for a minute or two; we give people hope that is really not hope at all.

What if we ONLY said the things we really meant? What if we only speak when we feel a deep compulsion to speak?

Our words hold weight, whether we intend them to or not. Why not use this? Why not be intentional with our words?

"Wake, feel your worth, O my soul.
Speak the word, the word that can save us all.
Awed by grace, I fall on my face,
And scream the word that can save us all."
-Dustin Kensrue

Let's speak the words that can save us all, not the words that will destroy the soul.

No comments: